Wednesday 23 April 2014

Old friends

Old Friends


Something Camilla always despised was lunches. She didn't know why? She just did. Getting dolled up to look like she gave a damn about herself and how she looked when just meeting simple 'friends' as if it was a big deal?! Uhhh! I just fucking hate it!  she harnessed the thought to herself, and tried reining in the annoyance she felt by telling herself it would all be over before she knew it. But deep down, the hassle she had gone through by trying to persuade Richard (the cook who still worked for her husband) to come in and do a little light cooking for her and her companion was way harder than she thought it would be. Why couldn't he just 'do' whenever she clicked her fingers minus all the use of expletives, upon giving her an answer? 


Opening the door with a huge smile plastered on her face and a look that could convince anybody she was really truly happy to see them, was all it took to persuade Gretchen Alloway. An old friend of Camilla's and an old sparring partner, these two weren't always pals, and it always made Camilla laugh how things did change with time. But its not as if they fought often, not like that could ever have been acceptable here, in Spring County?! But the odd sarcastic comment was enough to compel both of them in believing that neither one of them liked the other enough to spend more than two minutes in each-others company - which is why at first they only spoke in passing; obviously being far too busy to stop and chat! But events changed and there was reasons why they began to see eye to eye with another.

    "Oh, Camilla you look so beautiful! How bloody long has it been?" Gretchen started by hauling her into a hug. 

      "I dunno? But you don't look any different! What on earth have you been doing with yourself?" Camilla gave her the once over and sniggered to herself at the thought of Gretchen having lost weight, she was way smaller than she had ever been... Its obvious she's gonna point it out...

      "Oh, shut up you! Did you think I was born yesterday? I know when your having me on! Don't tell me you can't notice how skinny I am?!" Gretchen emphasised a blink to her friend and did a turn, waiting for her response. 
Feigning her surprise and immediately faking interest, Camilla continued making amends as best she could, false flattery she thought.  Its not as if she didn't care about her friends triumphs... well... she just didn't care!

     "Look Camilla. Surgery can get you anything you want. But enough about me. What have you been doing with yourself?" Having left the space open, Gretchen waited nervously. Something was odd with Camilla... why did she request that she drive all the way into town? Her house was up the hill...what was this place anyway? 

          "I'm not gonna pretend that its been easy Chenny... But truth is. I'm getting a divorce!" The shrill gasp from Gretchen was like a high pitch scream in Camilla's ears! What was it with her over exciting behaviour? Couldn't she just exclaim sadly like everybody else had done upon hearing the news. 
             "Yeah... Its a surprise. But look! This is our daughter's town house, and for the meantime - my new home. Isn't it gorgeous?" Camilla presented another fake smile, but it wasn't as effective. Gretchen knew all of Camilla's ploys. 

            "You wanted a divorce from your husband whose some big shot author?!" Damn! Have to reel in the happiness, and bring out the fake tears, Camilla thought to herself. 

           "It's not as easy as all that!" Camilla said whilst turning away from her friend. But before turning the whole one eighty she felt a soft hand impose on her own and limply pull her over towards the sofa.  

                "It may not be easy beautiful, but thats why I'm here. Come on." 

To tell you the truth brashness of it all had surprised even Camilla, never recalling a time when her friend had been this imposing. Maybe she had her fooled the whole time? Or maybe her friend was just looking for an excuse to play the 'compassionate' role? drudging along behind her, Camilla let out a deep exhale when finally being released from her friends clutches and took a seat beside her. How Chenny's gonna hate me after I tell her the truth, Camilla thought along to herself. But maybe she could pull her onto her side... make her see that all she did was to gain back some control over herself? What?! Who was she kidding? She didn't need allies! Camilla Harding never needed anybody to be on her side, or to pretend as though they cared for her! She was an independent woman who could take care of herself! One way or the other... Being married to that prick had been arduous enough; without the thought of having to explain her actions to the likes of others!


              "Now. Tell me from the beginning." Gretchen began, making her way next to Camilla, who sat with the straightest posture Gretchen had ever seen, all that etiquette having paid off of course.   

Gretchen had tried to take it all in and be as understanding as possible, but there was only so many excuses someone could make. That's all Camilla had, excuses. So far Gretchen gathered that being married to a fine specimen of man - Gretchen considered, was hard work from where Camilla was concerned. She kept repeating herself too, as if needing to convince herself that she did the right thing; up and leaving her fifteen year old daughter in the process. But Gretchen could see through the charade, and the obvious atonement Camilla seeked from her daughter, who Gretchen thought might not be in the forgiving mood. Nope. In Gretchen's mind; cheating on your husband with his friend was never permissible, so how come Camilla seemed so compelled to think otherwise? At one point, she was even hunched over in tears, hat strewn across the floor, and weeping sorrowfully at what she had done to her daughter.

If thats all it took, Gretchen thought - then her own mother would have forgiven her... But as it was, she undeniably went to the grave having not spoken to Gretchen for twenty two years. 

       "Hhm" Said Gretchen and up went Camilla. 

             "Look. Chenny. I know what you must be thinking. *Sob* And I just want you to know that... *Sob- sob - sob* I'm not... *sob* that sorta person to just - sleep with some random guy!" Camilla said,blurting the last part out. 

              "I know, Camilla... I know." An awkward silence.... "But after all he was Kyle's publicist." Darn! Thought Gretchen, something for sure Camilla would never allow her to take back. 

            "But, I didn't know him that well- "

           "Of course you didn't! I'd hope that even you would have a shred of human decency." Camilla gave away a hurt look and tried to pretend to gather her bearings, aha! This is coming along so swell! Camilla thought. Shows how well she really knows me! 

The lunch had better be ready by the end of this, cause Camilla was bound to wear herself out from all the pacing she was doing.

     "Camilla, can you stop walking around, for fuck sake?" Which managed to yank Camilla back to reality. 

        "I know you think its all a lie-"

       "Well then, convince me otherwise... Tell me this wasn't just one of your latest schemes." That bitch! Who the f- wait. I can't stop the act. Not now! I'm having fun...

       "Chenny... how can you say that to me? After all the years you've known me. After everything, you should believe me when I tell you we were in love-!"

This time, Gretchen knew she was having her on. In love?! Camilla had never been in love. She had even known deep down that even Kyle; lucky as Gretchen thought Camilla had been in marrying him, had never really loved him. Camilla had big hopes, big dreams, but she had been real immature - a trouble maker. 

        "In love you say?!" Gretchen could hardly believe herself! 

         "Yes-"
   
        "What?! I'm not stupid!" Gretchen implied, harshly. 

         "Sweet heart, lets not fight..." Camilla sniffed, whilst delicately handling her shades to wipe away the tears and smudges her eye make up had made.  



Gretchen, having walked up to confront her, stopped in front of her waiting for a reaction. Which usually wouldn't be for both parties to burst out in fits of laughter!


            "Oh, honestly honey! What Bull shit you do come out with?!" All past anger and resentment replaced with relief and alleviation, with regular fits of giggles from Camilla. 

            "Well I wanted to know how far I could go with the whole thing-"

           "How far you could go?! More like drone on for Watling's sake! I thought I was gonna have to break your little charade up myself!" Both women looked at each other and let out a heavy sigh trying to make the hurt from laughing too much subside. Still giggling like prattling girls. 

            "Oh, but Chenny you don't disappoint do you?" Gretchen pulled a questionable expression.

            "Nope. Did you think I would? Let you have all the fun and happily have you take me along for the ride?! I don't bloody well think so!" 

                    "Oh, love it is really good to see you!" Camilla related whilst giving Gretchen a quick peck on the cheek, before starting to forcedly tug at her old friend. 

Oh yes. Thick as thieves it seemed these two were... All false charms and witty humour, at the misfortune of others. 

            "So it was all true then...? You did love this Mark character?" Gretchen's interests were piqued.

             "Why? Heavens no!" Camilla forced out, followed by roaring laughter. But then she grew serious, and withdrew into herself, looking away from Gretchen's obnoxious stares. 
               "Every time I let him touch me I felt every bit less of human... hardly believing what I was doing to myself- let a lone my baby girl... Elizabeth..." Her mind wandered. "My little girl is back there in that prison... all alone, without me..." She began to recapitulate all the times she had been the most happiest, and each thought led straight back to Elizabeth. Her daughter's long dark mane of hair and strikingly beautiful face, which always had a smile; even though in Camilla's mind there had been nothing at all to smile about. 
                       "I would shrivel away from Mark at times just to forbid him from stealing glances at me. He made me sick! Even the thought of him now makes me want to hurl myself and heave, until the mere memory of him is forced up to!" 

Gretchen looked Solemnly at Camilla, never having seen this side of her and thinking her rather vulnerable, before saying:

                     "Was bedding him really that bad?" 


But Camilla didn't want to visualise him at all, and hated her friend for making her do so. 

            "He's not a man... damn it! He's not human! But I hate Kyle more..." 

With that Gretchen strolled up beside her in a teasing manner, and said:

              "That's my girl..." 




Okay! So this is the first taste! I am so in love with Camilla and her devious ways, I could of written the interaction of these two for hours and hours! But with that in mind I hope people give it a chance because there's so much more to come! 

   Thank you to those who do give it a chance and read, much appreciated :)









  



2 comments:

  1. That is one odd friendship, but I guess it works for them. I still couldn't figure out if they truly like each other or are just two miserable people who enjoy the company of each other lol. If Camilla cared so much then why DID she leave Elizabeth? Leaving Kyle was one thing, but if she loved her child then she would have taken her along. It is her house she's staying in anyways. I still think Camilla is just selfish and doesn't even care about her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! It is a weird friendship :) I kinda wanted it be cause some confusion at the same time lol! Main reason being so that the readers know what sort of people live in this small county; and that fakery and snobbery go hand in hand as it's a device used to survive here. But also Camilla sorta became entrapped in it the whole fakery thing until it ate away at her- making her do what she did. But she does love her daughter lol! She just wants to build a better life for the two of them without Her husband & with his money!
    But thank you so much! For taking the time to read, hope you enjoy future updates to come!

    ReplyDelete